Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Severe Weather Southern Plains:4/14/11




Hey Chasers and blog Followers, Figured I would update everyone on the severe weathe situation forthcoming tomorrow afternoon/evening across the Central/Southern Plains. I realize that probably none of you will be able to chase this event tomorrow, but it does look like a quite favorable setup, even a classic type event.


**UPDATE 7:30am 4/14/11**
After looking at latest data and model guidance have shifted my target area to get to this afternoon a bit farther South and East. I will be working until 2:30pm CST and then plan to head out right after. Will be taking Rachel with me as she is a good luck charm, and can drive. This way I should be able to get better video and continue to analyze latest obs, radar, etc. Back up base support would still be great if anyone has some time in the 3pm-6pm time frame. Yesterday I had mentioned the Wichita, KS area and while I still think storms will initially fire in that area Surface dryline/encroaching coldfront will occlude with warm front faster to the West, will plan to target the Neodesha, KS/Coffeyville, KS, Nowata, OK area. Would like to get to > 60s Td and be South of the leading edge of warm front area. Will update again one more time this afternoon before I head out if things change. Can already here the Twister theme song playing in my head, :)





Synoptic Setup:
A potent 30omb negatively tilted trough will dig its way Southeast across the Central Rockies late this evening into tomorrow afternoon over the SW Great Plains region. Attendant riggourous 500mb shortwave will eject over the region between 18z-00z tomorrow afternoon/evening. GFS, ECMWF, and WRF are all pretty much in line with the upper level pattern yielding a broad area of synoptic ascent from exit region of 100kt 300mb jet leading the upper level trough axis. A very focalized area of upper level diffluence resultant of the negatively tilted trough should also aid in strong upper level forcing over the region in question (This is exactly what I look for at upper levels in a classic severe weather outbreak setup). At mid levels SW flow at 700-850mbs will advect a strong EML with > 8K/Km lapse rates out ahead of the system across the dryline region of the Southern Plains this afternoon/evening into tomorrow morning. At low levels a deepening sfc low will develop to the Lee of the Southern Rockies and trek across Southern CO/Northern NM later this evening into tomorrow morning. As this system strengthens strong southerlies out ahead of the sfc low will pull low level moisture up across the Red River valley into Central OK and Southern KS. A distinct warm front and dryline setup will be in place across the region by 12Z-18Z tomorrow with lagging cold front drapped back across eastern CO.

Mesoscale Setup and Severe Parameters:
This pattern will promote the classic Sfc Low, Dryline, Warm Front triple point severe weather setup. Sfc forcing associated with deepening low and warm frontal lift will aid in elevated convection developing in the early to late morning hours across Eastern CO, Western KS, and SW NE. Afternoon heating and subsequent mixing out of BL should cause afternoon bulging/advancing dryline to act as the initial focal point for surface based convection to form. Uppper level cooling and forcing will further help to destabilize warm sector by later afternoon. Forecast ML CAPES across the warm sector should be 1000-1500 J/kg over South Central KS to > 2,000 J/kg across central OK. 0-6km bulk shear values over 40kts across the area in question will promote the development of Supercells. Backed flow at the surface and veering profiles with height will promote right movers as storms split and move ne into very favorable conditions for rotating updrafts and potential tornadoes. Look at any progged sounding in the warm sector and you will easily see what I'm talking about.



The "GO ZONE":
Based on what I mentioned above, my game plan is to head down to the Wichita area to be on the dryline for initiation) and wait for surface based storms to develop and move into the more favored zone for tornadic development. I think there will be a pretty large area for severe weather extending South along the dryline and eventual cold front overtaking, but want to focus on storms along the OK/KS border that will move into my favored area in red above. My main concern with tomorrow is BL moisture. Given the lack of time for return flow from off the gulf, I think > mid 60's Tds will be very difficult to get all the way into Central KS. 12z Model guidance shows a narrow tongue extending up from Central OK into Extreme Southern KS by 00z. Hoping Td depressions will not be too large to get ground circulations. That being said though, steep lapse rates and adequate CAPE values will lead to large hail potential with most storms especially as you head south, but also will promote very strong downdrafts due to the EML. Thinking that may be enough to overcome moisture shortcomings and get some of these funnels to the ground.

Fearless Fantasy Forecast: o/u 12 tornado reports, 45 hail reports, 30 wind reports

Let the games begin and I'll do my best to keep the "tor" streak alive and get some great pictures/videos for the blog. I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on the setup for tomorrow and I'm pretty sure SPC is going with a MOD risk as well. It's always good when we can agree on potential.

Happy Hunting,

Dan aka Squall Line

12 comments:

  1. Eih, I don't even know why I spent so much time doing this forecast and Go Zone. Just looked at latest SPC foreacst (1730Z Day 2 outlook) and we might as well be siamese twins. Could have simply just copy and pasted Smith's analysis in here and it would have looked cooler and sounded better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potentially a classic cold core tornado outbreak setup! I agree with your target area. Might even see some stuff further west in the cooler air. Good luck!

    Chris
    (new UW-Chaser e-mail list member who greatly wishes he could be chasing tomorrow)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to love those Spring Time cut-off lows across the Southern Plains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you working today Dan? ;)

    Chris, introduce yourself and welcome to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... very close to SPC's analysis. If I had to target one area specifically, it seems like on the border of KS / OK in the far Eastern portion of those states is where all the ingredients are going to line up the best. As you get closer to the triple point there is likely going to be less instability, imho. I'd target in between Coffeyville, KS and Arkansas City, KS. But really, I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in that southeastern area of KS. (based on 12z data)

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. - Squall Line - what are you using to make those sexy 'go zone' maps? They are nice and easy to read / follow. Miller Diagrams FTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Croix,

    Yes, sorry for the hit and run post! I work down on second floor with CIMSS. I used to chase a lot in my grad school days at CSU, but still get out on a 600 mph storm through the winding and forested roads of WI every so often these days. Glad to have finally found the UW chasers; I also like the depth of the analysis I've read on the blog so far.

    Hopefully we'll get some great opportunities nearby this season. I have often flown solo in recent years, but enjoy teaming up too.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Triple Point: Ive been eyeing Independence, KS. As far as the maps Dima has ablank map of Tornado alley, I just loaded it into power point and went to town, can save as an image.

    Croix- You know Im an excellent multi-tasker. Can work and play at the same time ;)

    No need to bust Chris R's balls (Broken CU). He's legit and of the same elk. Dima and I know about his chasing. Been doing it out there longerthan almost anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I was not bustin' his balls, legit welcoming him to the blog and since I didn't know who he was figured he should introduce himself...

    Welcome Chris, feel free to post away! If you would like I can add you to the list that can create blog posts, not just comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks guys! Come to think of it, I am getting pretty ancient in the field of storm chasing, but I still have a few chases (or opportunities to maintain a high bust ratio) left in me. I hope.

    And yes, I would be quite honored to join your inner elk circle in blogging. As much as I get excited by potential outbreaks in 384-h GFS forecasts, I wouldn't take the Answer Key blogging precedent for high quality posts lightly.

    Still looks pretty good today for tornadoes. Looks like many models have Kansas starting up earlier in the afternoon; OK (and TX?) later on in the late afternoon/evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey folks,

    added some new thoughts earlier this morning and made a quick sfc analysis of current obs. Things are progressing nicely. Hopefully I will be able to catch the early elevated stuff in Southern KS on my way down to the border. There will definitely be a chance for a brief spin up or two in the stronger initial cells. Pending on how that goes, I will try and make a play down by the border later this evening. Now off to finish my final work obligations for the day so I can head out early.

    ReplyDelete