Sunday, April 15, 2012

Recap of 4/12 & 4/14

Today was one heck of a day in Kansas. In retrospect, we can all probably say we should have gone there, but it's not clear why Nebraska was void of any significant tornadoes.

Anyways, I have a few quick videos from Thursday and today.

Thursday 4-12-2012:

I went up to Sterling, CO then east to Imperial and down towards McCook, NE. First, here's a video of hail east of Sterling. This was a nuisance because it created some thick hail fog and the temperature crashed from the mid 60's to the upper 40's in basically 10 minutes.



After this, I wandered along the warm front eastward, where the following picture recaps the common sight: towers getting choked and undercut by the cold air to the north that seemed to slosh north/south like a tide. I've heard people refer to these kind of towers as "turkey towers". The darker clouds are shallow stratus.


Finally, with the help of ours truly Squall Line, I was in position to take this footage a few miles north of Trenton, NE around 6pm. The video is bad quality (time to invest in a good camera), but at 0:45 seconds in, I think there's a funnel in the middle of the screen. This happened to coincide with the location and timing of the tornado report on the SPC reports.



Saturday 4-14-2012:

I was lazy today and paid the price. My goal was to head out to near Ogallala, NE as the 500-mb cold front was moving over the triple point. I like those situations as they always produce funnels/nados even though the cells are usually ugly looking on radar. I left too late though and was playing catch-up the whole time. I did manage to snag this cool video of a cell that later produced a few funnels near North Platte. The precip shaft in the middle is sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment